I only have 10 weeks until NYCM. That seems so close and so far away at the same time. I’m feeling nervous, but strong. In fact, what I’m most anxious about right now is the pumping scenario before the start and not the actual race. However, a lot can happen in 10 more weeks!
I stayed in NJ for a week longer than originally planned so my workouts were all messed up. Anyway, here’s how they were supposed to look:
|4mi easy + lifting; 3mi stroller||Spin||7x 800m at 7:30 pace||Spin; 3mi stroller||OFF||15mi||Spin|
And what really happened:
|5mi at 8:32||8x 800m at 6:52 pace (7.5mi)||OFF||4.25mi at 8:34||15mi at 9:09||OFF||60min spin|
My runs in NJ went really well. And while I’m happy to be home, I’m going to miss running in cooler weather and in beautiful parks so, so much.
Some notes from the week:
- I skipped my tempo run last week in favor of 800m repeats instead, so I was 1 week ahead in the 800m workouts – hence the extra repeat. Oddly enough, my pace was the exact same as last week when I did 7x 800m. Crazy!
- I’ve been thinking ahead past NYCM to the runDisney Dopey Challenge in January – 5k on Thursday, 10k on Friday, 1/2 marathon Saturday, and full on Sunday. I think it’s smart to start getting used to running easy the day before my long runs. I’m not sure if I’ll do this every week but it’s been working out well the past couple of weeks.
- We arrived home after a long (long, long) car ride on Saturday and I was so happy to return to my spin studio, Pushpointe, on Sunday. But, man, am I out of spin shape. I’m eager to have my booty kicked the next couple weeks as I get back into it!
Oh – I totally forgot to mention the Rock & Read 5k giveaway winner! The winner is Kelly. Congrats Kelly! Email me (runnerstrials at gmail) and we’ll get you signed up for the race!
I had another great week of training for NYCM. No doubt because I’m still in NJ and have been running some beautiful (and flat! routes.
I felt so much stronger this week than last week. Hadley isn’t past her 4 month sleep regression, but is only getting up 1-2 times per night so I feel much more rested. Plus, the weather has been amazing. It was 55 degrees the morning of my long run! It felt heavenly.
Here’s how this week’s workouts were supposed to look:
|5mi easy||OFF||5mi tempo w/3 at 7:55||OFF||14mi||OFF||spin|
And what really went down:
|5mi at 8:45||7x 800m at 6:52 pace (7mi total)||OFF||4mi at 8:43 pace||14mi at 9:07 pace||OFF||45min spin class + lifting|
Mileage: 30 miles <--- first time cracking 30 since December 2012!
- I messed up when I made my training plan and only included 3 days of running instead of 4 this week – oops! That was a total accident.
- I am loving 800m repeats. Seriously loving them. So, I decided to do them again this week instead of a tempo run while I still have access to a track.
- I’m proud of my easy run pace. I’m still allowing myself to negative split these runs but I’m also challenging myself to never drop below an 8:30 pace. So far, so good!
- My long run went so, so well. I tried a new route and felt strong the entire way. This is honestly the first run over a half marathon where I finished feeling like I could run a few more miles. I’m taking that as a good sign!
Fingers crossed I have a repeat performance on my 15-miler (!) this week.
I have a fun giveaway for my fellow Charlotte-area friends this morning: who wants to run the Rock n Read 5k?
The Rock n Read 5k run/walk, 1-mile fun run, and kids’ dash will be held in the Plaza Midwood neighborhood of Charlotte on Saturday, September 6. This 5k is unique because it offers live music along every mile of the course – hence the “rock” part of the name! At the finish line, there’s also more live music plus plenty of food and adult beverages.
The race benefits the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library system. The goal is to raise $25,000 for the library’s books and materials budget. I absolutely love the cause because I take my kids to the library’s (free!) programs all of the time.
I’m going to run the 5k and Wyatt is going to do the kids’ dash – I’m so excited! I actually ran this race back in 2011 when I was pregnant with him so it’s nice to come full circle.
If you want to register for the Rock n Read 5k, you can do so here. The organizers of the race are also giving away a free entry to one of you. All you have to do is leave a comment below telling me why you’d love to run the race! The giveaway will be open until 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, August 21, 2014. I’ll announce the winner next Friday. Good luck!